Difference between revisions of "Victims"
|Line 8:||Line 8:|
== Named individuals ==
== Named individuals ==
Revision as of 08:26, 30 September 2019
Victims of anti-smoking policies.
This is a list of people who have suffered from rules and restrictions put in place to prevent people from smoking, especially indoors.
Feeling the need to incessantly hector smokers can have dire repercussions...
August 16, 2016, 46 yr old Shannon Vincel was attacked in a area popular with smokers outside the grounds of a non-smoking cancer treatment centre property late evening on Monday 15th August. She died the next day.
April 2016, 40 yr old prisoner commits suicide because jail introduces smoking ban.
July 2015, 48 yr old Eric Garner was arrested for selling untaxed cigarettes. During the arrest he was put into a chokehold, and in a video taken at the time appeared to have his head slammed against the sidewalk. He later died as a result of his treatment by the police, prompting some to ask "Is Selling Untaxed Cigarettes Now a Capital Offense":
April 2014, World War II veteran Andy Nowicki was at the center of a conflict over the Newington Housing Authority's newly enacted no smoking policy. Having lived there for 20 years, he was in the middle of being evicted for having the temerity to smoke in his own house, and also smoke within 10 feet of the property. He died in the middle of it all, aged 90, from a stroke.
April 2013, Jonathan, a 33 yr old software engineer, died because his mother forbade him to smoke in the house. Instead he sat on the window ledge of his bedroom, from which he apparently fell 20 ft hitting his head on the patio below one evening. His mother found him the following morning.
December 2008, Lorraine, 68, - a patient at Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, Canada, went out in sub-zero temperatures to have a cigarette. She was found one week later, frozen to death, 400 meters from the building.
David, 12, committed suicide rather than admit to his parents he'd been smoking. After smelling smoke on him and finding cigarettes, his form tutor gave him 24 hours to own up to his parents before the school contacted them. David strangled himself with his school tie while his father was preparing dinner.
April 2003, Dana, a bouncer in a New York night club, was stabbed to death in a fight that started when Dana tried to evict a patron who was flouting the newly enacted smoking ban two weeks previously.
- Travis Keyes, the owner of B3, a bar next door, didn't hesitate to blame the new law, which has been billed as a way to safeguard the health of pub employees.
- "It all started over a cigarette," said Keyes, who helped chase down the Chans. "It's so ironic: Something that's supposed to save lives has already taken a life."
Isaias Umali, not one of those involved with the initial flouting of the smoking ban, was convicted of First Degree manslaughter, and sentenced to 17 years in prison.
Shortly after 6am on 13th July 2011, Elena Brennan was discovered by a passing private ambulance driver dead, still in her dressing gown, from massive head injury she sustained after falling 20 feet onto a concrete ramp beneath her second storey flat (3rd floor in the US). The inquest found that she'd fallen from her window because she had been leaning out of the window to have a cigarette.
"He was banned from the smoking room, for smoking too much."
In October 2011, it was reported that Ms O'Grady, a 97 year old, was threatened with eviction from her independent living facility. Her smoking wasn't a problem when she moved in in 2005, but in 2008, The Lakes at Pointe West implemented a no-smoking policy.
In a letter to the media in Feb 2012, The Lakes stated they wanted her to either stop smoking, or move to accomodation where she can be given mobility assistance to smoke outside because of the other 197 residents. Ms O'Grady wants neither.
Jane died 20th Feb 2012
August 2007, Matthew fell 2½ft from a brick terrace into the car park, and was brain-damaged from the fall. He went on to sue the owners of the pub for encouraging use of the area without putting warning signs up. His sister is quoted as saying "He smoked only ten cigarettes a day but he must be the worst victim of the smoking ban. If he hadn't had to step outside to light up it would never have happened."
January 2008, Miles, 65, a resident of Manitoulin Lodge in Gore Bay, Ontario, Canada was found suffering from hypothermia after he'd gone outside for a cigarette "sometime after the established smoking period". He later died after being admitted to hospital.
Angel, 46, was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor early 2012. In April 2012 she was kicked out of University of California, San Francisco (USCF) Parnassus campus for using medical marijuana. USCF stated:
- UCSF is a smoke-free campus and this includes medical marijuana. Several members of the media have asked if UCSF allows the use of a vaporized form of marijuana. It does not. Even a vaporized form of medical marijuana releases particles in the air that are damaging to the lung. Any particles from vapor and odor could have an impact on other patients and hospital employees.
Apparently unrelated, USCF conducts studies to test the effacacy of medical marijuana on patients with chronic pain.
On the 29th October 2011, Richard Read, 61, suffered severe burns, and subsequently died, after he accidentally fumbled with the Zippo lighting his pipe while sitting in his parked car outside of his home. The dropped zippo caused the car to catch alight and subsequently explode.
It appears he had a stroke.
Stacey is an English singer, television presenter and reality TV star, who rose to fame during the sixth series of X-Factor. She was photographed smoking when she was seven months pregnant, even though she was trying to give up. As a result FoxyBingo sacked her as a judge on their 'Foxy Mum' panel, and dropped her from their shortlist for Celeb Mum of the Year 2012[archive]
In June 2008, taxman Lawrence Walker committed suicide by jumping off cliffs in Newquay after the smoking ban left him a virtual recluse.
October 22nd, 2005, Eamonn, 20, fell from a 2nd-floor fire escape when he was having a cigarette, due to a smoking ban within Whispers club.
Unnamed people or groups
Health Workers in Australia
So, when people get in your face and demand you stop smoking outside...
Psychiatric Patients in New Zealand
August 2016, lawyer goes to court to argue that non-smoking policies in psychiatric facilities actually prolongs the incarciration time that patients spend there.
Six Irish students (one with dual American nationality), Berkely, Calafornia, USA
Female Backpacker, Scotland
2004, a female backpacker was found dead at 3am after falling off the roof of a hostel. One theory is that she climbed on to the flat roof of the no-smoking Edinburgh Backpackers hostel for a cigarette.
September 2011, on-campus students University of Montana must go to the edge of the campus to have a cigarette. Female students have been discouraged from walking across campus alone at night for their own safety. Previously ashtrays were placed 25 feet away from entrances but they were all moved to the edge of the campus as part of the new policy.
Scottish care home residents
February 2012, Canmore Lodge, Dunfermline bans smoking; spokesman for the care home said: “Canmore Lodge can confirm that they will be closing the smoking room at the home as the health and wellbeing of our residents is always our utmost priority." Instead they will have to use, in winter as well as summer what amounts to, as one relative called it "basically a bus shelter."
A bar manager blames the smoking ban for one of his staff being raped while going outside for a cigarette. Councilman Bill Sova says it's inappropriate to blame the ban. "It should be Calantino's [manger's] responsibility to ensure his employees and patrons are safe."
Unnamed Hospital Patient
One evening in December 2000, a 54 year old patient at Seven Oaks General Hospital in Winnipeg was trapped outside in -30°C temperatures in only her hospital gown, when the door locked behind her and she couldn't find another way in. She was found, comatose, an hour later suffering from hypothermia and frostbite to her hands and feet. Four fingers on her right hand had to be amputated. She was left with limited mobility in her left hand.
- Man sprays smoker in face with fire extinguisher to put out cigarette: 'You can't smoke around here' - The Independant
- Grandmother evicted from HUD home for cigarettes - HousingWire
- Smoking grandma would rather move than quit - Cincinnati.com
- Pensioner allegedly assaulted for smoking cigarette - 9News
- Non-smoker hacks off his room-mate's penis and decapitates him because he was fed up with his cigarettes - Daily Mail
- Health workers attacked and abused over hospital smoking ban - Cowra Guardian
- 'We are devastated': Family of heart surgeon 'punched in the head when he told a man to stop smoking' outside a Melbourne hospital - [Daily Mail]
- Police: Patient dies after attack outside Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Zion - Chicago Tribune
- Driven To Her Death By Tobacco Control - Frank Davies Blog
- Prisoner Suicide Over Smoking Ban - swanseasound
- Staten Island man dies after NYPD cop puts him in chokehold — SEE THE VIDEO - Daily News
- Is Selling Untaxed Cigarettes Now A Capital Offense? - Daily Caller
- Vet At Center Of Newington No-Smoking Conflict Dies - The Courant
- Software engineer, 33, died after falling from bedroom window... - Daily Mail
- Smoker died after fall from fire escape - The Irish Times
- Banning confined, vulnerable patients from smoking inhumane under Bill of Rights - Lawyer - Newstalk ZB
- Deaths of Irish Students in Berkeley Balcony Collapse Cast Pall on Program - The New York Times